The Town's Crowning Glory

0.450m x 2.500m
On the left hand side of the panel Samuel Pepys is seen visiting the town (mentioned twice in his diaries). On 22nd July 1661 he wrote that he stopped off in 'Bigglesworth' to buy woollen stockings, as his legs were cold. The Sun Inn was once the largest of the town's Inns. In the 18th century, when the much improved Great North Road passed its front door, the Crown was one of Biggleswade's foremost coaching Inns. On the right is depicted The Great Fire. In 1785 a fire started in the Crown yard destroying the Inn and a third of the town.

Biggleswade Design Two

View Zoomed Image