The Two Shannons

1m x 1m
This design illustrates Captain Sir William Peel’s great contribution to the community of Sandy, the creation of the Sandy and Potton branch line (three miles long and opened in 1857) and the steam engine “Shannon” named after the frigate HMS Shannon (Peel’s last command and seen here as a silhouette behind the engine). HMS Shannon was a sail and steam ship. Peel never had the opportunity to use his railway. There is also a reference to the Shannon steam locomotive in the Potton Map.

View Zoomed Image